There’s no denying the impact of the COVID-19 crisis on the health and well-being of people. In fact, we’ve witnessed the rise of COVID-19 cases worldwide, taking away the lives of people and compromising public health. Not only have the various coronavirus strains posed a threat to the physical bodies, but the pandemic restrictions have also led to different health issues.
As a responsible individual, you must find ways and means to protect yourself from the virus, boost your immune system, and foster your well-being. The key here is to promote your physical fitness and a healthy lifestyle. However, it’s easier said than done. There are a few crucial steps to achieving your health goals this year. In fact, it takes conscious efforts and deliberate decisions to attain these objectives.
Fret not, as we’ve rounded up some health tips for you. Here’s how to stay physically fit and healthy during this pandemic:
1. Have regular exercises
It’s easy to have a sedentary lifestyle during this pandemic. You most likely spend most of your time online. You probably love to surf the web, browse social media, and even play mobile games. You may even be busy and preoccupied with your online education or work-from-home (WFH) set-up during this pandemic.
However, having a sedentary lifestyle is a big no-no, as this can be detrimental to your health. Be sure to allow yourself some time for hitting the gym or having a home workout. Ultimately, regular exercises will make you physically active and fit amid the crisis.
2. Pursue other physical activities
When it comes to physical fitness, you don’t necessarily have to visit a gym or set up your home gym. You can do calisthenics or body workout in the comfort of your home. However, there are other indoor and outdoor activities to stay physically active.
For one, you can walk around your house, jog in your neighborhood, or run around a park. Two, you can do regular household chores and pursue home improvement projects. Lastly, you can even go as far as undertaking outdoor landscaping and home gardening.
3. Stay always hydrated
It’s crucial to stay hydrated always. In fact, the U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine has daily fluid intake recommendations for individuals. While men should have 3.7 liters of fluids a day, women should drink 2.7 liters of fluid.
In addition, proper hydration must be a part of your physical fitness journey. You have to drink plenty of water before, during, and after your exercise. However, be sure to regulate your tea and coffee intake, and avoid soda drinks, artificial juices, and alcohol consumption.
4. Ensure a healthy diet
Did you know that eating habits outweigh regular exercises for physical fitness? Many fitness enthusiasts claim that working out does 30 percent of fitness goals. Your food consumption accounts for the remaining 70 percent.
As such, you must have a healthy diet for proper nutrition. As much as possible, opt for green leafy vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and whole fruits to be healthy.
To gain muscles and maintain your figure, consume foods from animal sources like lean meat, fish, eggs, and dairy products. However, cut down on your sugar, salt, and fat intake.
5. Get enough rest and sleep
Getting rest and sleep is underrated. Many individuals and families are so busy and preoccupied with work and life. They tend to ignore these two crucial aspects of a healthy lifestyle and physical fitness.
In fact, you need to work out three to five times a week and have days of rest in between. Doing so allows your body to heal and recover, thus gaining more muscles and becoming stronger and healthier.
In addition, you must have enough sleep for a sound mind and body. Consider the sleep recommendations from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Lastly, strive to achieve a restorative slumber.
6. Seek health professionals
The last on the list is to know when and how to seek professional help. No matter how you take good care of yourself, you may eventually get sick. When this happens, visit a doctor for a medical checkup, diagnosis, and treatment if necessary.
If you start showing COVID-19 symptoms, get yourself tested and consult a health professional. If you have an underlying health condition like growing tumors in certain body parts, speak with your doctor. They’ll most likely recommend you to have an open, upright MRI diagnostic scan.
At this point, you now know what it takes to be physically fit and healthy during this pandemic. Consider the physical fitness hacks and healthy lifestyle tips recommended above, from having regular exercises down to seeking health professionals when necessary. By doing so, you’ll be surprised at how you can rise above the pandemic with a sound mind and body. Ultimately, you’ll foster your overall health and well-being for a quality life amid the crisis.